Special Educational Needs

 Student Support Centre and SEND Department


We aspire for Torpoint Community College to be a fully inclusive college where every child who attends receives the support and guidance they need to achieve their potential.

To help every student achieve success we aim to provide effective learning opportunities for all our students by providing pupils with relevant and appropriately challenging work at all times, responding to students diverse learning needs and helping students overcome potential barriers to their learning to enable them to achieve their potential. The support that students receive at Torpoint Community College is one of its many strengths and an area that we are particularly proud of.

Our Student Support Centre support students with a range of needs and over a range of timescales. We support students in their Emotional Health and Well-being, medical issues and students with Special Educational Needs.

Click Here to see Torpoint Community College’s Local Offer

Contact Information

Student Support Centre Manager:Mrs Sue Fowell
SENDCo:Mrs Becky Lear

The college is a fully inclusive environment in which all students are encouraged to thrive.

SEN Information Report (Including Governors’ Report)


All schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and are supported by the LA to ensure that all students, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in college.

All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of students with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible.

The four broad ‘areas of need’ are Communication and Interaction, Cognition and Learning, Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties, and Sensory and Physical Needs.

Your Child has Special Educational Needs. What can we at Torpoint Community College offer you?

At Torpoint Community College, we embrace the fact that every child is different, and, therefore, the educational needs of every child are different; this is certainly the case for children with Special Educational Needs.

Please see below for more information about the Local Offer from Torpoint Community College and how we can support your child.

This information is being published on our website as regulations on the special educational needs (SEN) information that schools must publish came into effect on 1 September 2014. Under these regulations, schools have a duty to publish an SEN information report, which must be made available on their website.

  • What kinds of SEN are provided for at Torpoint Community College?

We aspire for Torpoint Community College to be a fully inclusive College where every child who attends receives the support and guidance they need to achieve their potential.

Our Student Support Centre helps students with a range of needs and over a range of time scales. We support students in their emotional health and wellbeing, through medical issues and mental health concerns, as well as working with students with Special Educational Needs.

To help every student achieve success we aim to provide effective learning opportunities for all by providing pupils with relevant and appropriately challenging work at all times, responding to students’ diverse learning needs and helping students overcome potential barriers to their learning. The support that students receive at Torpoint Community College is one of its many strengths and an area that we are particularly proud of.

  • How does Torpoint Community College identify pupils with SEN and assess their needs?

Our SEND Policy provides the detail into our processes for identifying students with SEN. All Year 7 students will be assessed in literacy and numeracy upon entry in September. This will build upon the information already gathered from the students’ primary schools, through KS2 data and discussions with class teachers, SENCOs and headteachers.

Each year group undergoes regular assessment in order to monitor the progress of all students. Teaching staff and parents and carers can raise concerns at any time and these can then be looked at in more detail. SEND or pastoral interventions will then be implemented based upon the level of need.

  • Who should I contact if I have any concerns about my child’s progress?

Subject Teacher

For individual concerns about a progress or any specific needs in a curriculum area you should speak to the subject teacher. They are responsible for the progress of the child in that subject and in identifying, planning and delivering any additional help that child may need in the classroom setting.

Tutor/House Leader of Learning

If you have wider concerns regarding the progress of your child in a range of subjects or you feel there are reasons why your son or daughter may have some concerns in College the tutor and/or HLOL will be able to identify areas of support and communicate with all their teachers.

The SENCO and the Student Support Centre Manager

The SENCO is Mrs Becky Lear and the Manager of the Student Support centre (SSC) is Mrs Sue Fowell. They are responsible for: developing and reviewing the College’s SEN policy; coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities, and ensuring that everyone involved in the progress of the students is kept informed about the support the students are receiving and the progress they are making. They also liaise with all the other people who may be coming in to College to help support a student’s progress, for example the local authority’s advisor for dyslexia or the Educational Psychologist. They also provide specialist support for teachers and support staff in the college, so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.

The SEN Governor

Mrs Sarah Clements is the Governor with responsibility for SEND. She visits College regularly to monitor the work undertaken in SEN and the SSC. She works with the SENCO and the SSC manager to ensure that provision for students is meeting their individual needs. Her profile can be found in the Governors section of the College website.

  • If my child has SEND how will I know how TCC is supporting them and how can I be involved in their education?

If your child is identified as having special educational needs you will be informed about the type of need we have identified and the interventions we will be putting in place to support them. If you wish to discuss these in more detail we will be happy to meet with you provide you with all the information you need.

You will receive three reports each year outlining the progress you child is making, as well as two Academic Review Days when you have the opportunity to meet with your child’s tutor and one parents’ evening when you can meet with the subject teachers. The SENCO will be available on these occasions if you wish to talk to them about the progress your child is making.

If you have any concerns at any time about your child or you would like to discuss their progress or to find out more about the work they are doing then you can contact the SENCO directly through the College Office or via her direct email (lear.b@torpoint.cornwall.sch.uk)

  • How is my child involved in the provisions for SEN and in their education?

When a student has been identified for an intervention they will be involved in a discussion about the intervention, why they are involved and what it aims to do. We will discuss with them and take account of their attitude to school, learning and their ability. This is reviewed alongside their academic progress.

We expect all students to take responsibility for their learning and they are expected to take an active part in our Academic Review Days and parents’ evenings.

  • What are the arrangements for assessing and reviewing my child’s progress towards their targets, and are there opportunities available for them and for me, as parents or carers, to be a part of this process?

All interventions, whether they are to address academic, social or emotional needs are measured against targets set. A baseline or starting point is always established at the start of an intervention and progress against this is carefully measured so that we can all see what progress is being made.

Students are an integral part of this process as it is vital that they can celebrate their successes, big and small. The progress of the students will be relayed back to parents and carers so that you can also share in your child’s success.

Sometimes changes will have to be made to the interventions provided and you will be involved in the reasons behind these changes and what will be the new targets.

  • What are the arrangements for supporting pupils moving between phases of education and preparing for adulthood?

All students when they are joining us from Year 6 will be a part of the extensive transition programme in place so that by the time they join us in Year 7 we will have built up a picture of who they are based upon the information shared with us by the student, their previous school and you – the parents and carers.

As the students move from KS3 to KS4 and begin their GCSEs we run a supportive programme of assemblies, information evenings and one to one interviews to ensure they embark on an exam programme that meets their individual needs.

Throughout Years 10 and 11 the students are exposed to the wealth of opportunities for their post-16 education. They are given advice about the best routes to their chosen career or to higher education.

All of the above are provided by knowledgeable and supportive tutor teams, House Leaders and members of staff with responsibility for work experience and careers guidance; all of whom are able to provide pastoral care and advice on choosing the right pathway for each individual.

  • What is the approach to teaching pupils with SEN?

Subject teacher input, via excellent teaching.

For your child this would mean: that the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all students in their class; that all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand; that different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning; that specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENDCo) are in place to support your child to learn.

Your child’s teacher will regularly monitor your child’s progress and if they find that your child needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress, they will refer them to the SEN Team after discussing their concerns with you.

Targeted Support

When a student has been identified as needing some extra specialist support in college. Then they may receive additional support, such as a reading intervention, which may be: run in the classroom or a group room and run by a teacher or a Learning Mentor.

Some students may receive additional support from outside agencies. If this were to happen you would be contacted and we will discuss with you which agency we are contacting and the reasons why. You would need to give your permission for the college to refer your child to a specialist professional, such as a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the college and you to understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school. The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.

Specified Individual support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong. This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small-group teaching.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot always be overcome through quality first teaching and intervention groups. Again, your child may also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from the Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team, Behaviour Support or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need).

  • How can the curriculum and/or the learning environment of the College be adapted to meet my child’s SEN needs?

The College budget, received from Cornwall LA, includes money for supporting children with SEN. The Head Teacher decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, in consultation with the College governors on the basis of needs in the College. The Head Teacher and the SENDCo discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including: the children getting extra support already; the children needing extra support; the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected.

From this information, they decide what resources/training and support is needed. The College identifies the needs of SEN students on a provision map. This identifies all support given within the College and is reviewed regularly and changes made as needed, so that the needs of children are met, and resources are deployed as effectively as possible.

Also, see the information above on the approach to teaching pupils with SEN.

For students with disabilities TCC is compliant with the Equality Act 2010 (EA) requirements where possible. The College has easy access with double doors and ramps. We have two lifts available for students with mobility issues. There is a disabled toilet, shower area and changing facility. We ensure, wherever possible, that the equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs. After-school provision is accessible to all children, including those with SEN. The individual needs of a child with SEND are reviewed on a case by case basis to ensure that the College is, or is able to be, compliant with EA requirements.

  • What expertise and training do staff have in order to support students with SEN and how is specialist expertise be secured?

Part of the SENCO’s role is to support all staff in planning for children with SEN.

The college provides regular training and support to enable all staff to improve their teaching and, therefore, the learning of all children, including those with SEN. This includes whole school training on SEN issues, such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Dyslexia.

Learning mentors undergo regular training to allow them to specialise in different areas of SEND in order that they can better support College staff in meeting the specific needs of individuals.

Specialist expertise can be obtained by the College when necessary through the Local Authority’s SEN provision, as detailed in their Local Offer.

  • How does the College evaluate the how effective SEN provision is for the students with SEN?

Each child’s progress is continually reviewed by their subject teachers and their tutor. There are a series of snapshots throughout the year showing the rates of progress being made in each subject area.

The progress of children with a statement of SEN, which are in the process of being converted to Education and Health care Plans EHCPs, will be formally reviewed at an Annual Review. During the review the views of all the stakeholders, including the student are taken into consideration.

The SENCO and the Student Support Centre Manager will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.

All interventions that are undertaken carry out regular assessments to monitor the progress being made by the students and thereby provide an indicator of the success of the programme being run.

Regular lesson observations and learning walks are carried out by the SENCO and other members of the College Leadership Team to ensure that the needs of all children are met and that the quality of teaching and learning is high.

The Governor with responsibility for SEN carries out regular visits to the school and meets with the SENCO to discuss SEN provision and its effectiveness.

  • How will the school ensure that my child with SEN is enabled to engage in activities available with those in the school who do not have SEN?

Torpoint Community College is fully inclusive and offers a rich and broad-based curriculum with opportunities for students to experience activities outside the classroom, including school trips. In addition to this, all staff have regular Inset training to improve standards of teaching and learning and ensuring equality of opportunity for all.

For further information please click here to access our Policies webpage and select our Equalities Policy.

  • How does the College support the emotional and social development of students? For example: is there extra pastoral support arrangements for listening to the views of pupils with SEN and measures to prevent bullying?

We recognise that some children have extra emotional and social needs that need to be developed and supported. These needs can manifest themselves in a number of ways, including behavioural difficulties, anxiousness, and being uncommunicative.

All students follow a structured PSHE (Personal, Social, Health end Economic education) curriculum to support this development. However, for those children who find aspects of this difficult we offer: social skills group work run by highly trained learning mentors; key workers for some individual students who need regularly contact with a named adult; lunchtime and break-time support through planned activities and groups in the Student Support Centre (SSC).

SSC is available for students, before, during and after school if they need someone to talk to. Tutors and House Leaders also provide regular opportunities for pastoral support. There is also a thorough tutor and assemblies programme that provide a forum for wider discussions of and support for the social and emotional development of all students.

There are dedicated email addresses for ‘worries’ and for bullying incidents that allow for anonymous reporting of concerns or incidents.

  • How does the school involve other bodies, including health and social care bodies, local authority (LA) support services and voluntary sector organisations, to meet the needs of my child and to support my family?

Our College, and especially the Student Support Centre, are very proud of the extensive links we have built up with a variety of external agencies in order to best meet the needs of each individual in our school.

We work alongside the Educational Psychology Service, the Dyslexia Advisory Service, the Hearing Impairment Team, Communication and Autism Team, the School Nurse Service, CAMHS and Brook to name but a few.

If as a parent or carer you have a concern and are not sure which service will best meet your child’s or your own needs, please ask and we will use our contacts to ensure we are able to work with the best team possible.

  • What do I do if I am not happy with the SEN provision made at the school?

If you feel at any point that you are not happy with the progress your child is making and/or the provision that has been put in place for your child then please contact us immediately in order that we can rectify the situation.

If it is a subject specific concern then please contact the class teacher and then the subject leader. If it is a general concern then contact your child’s tutor or their House Leader. If it is specifically about SEN provision then contact the SENCO direct either by phone via the main school office or through her direct email (lear.b@torpoint.cornwall.sch.uk).

We will then be able to rectify the situation to your satisfaction. In the rare event that we are not able to do so please follow our complaints procedure as detailed in the Complaints Policy on our website

  • Who should I contact if I have a concern?

The subject  teacher, tutor and HLOL are regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and college, so that similar strategies can be used.

The Student Support Centre Manager, Mrs Fowell, and the SENCO (Mrs Becky Lear) are available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.

You can contact them via the main College telephone number (01752 812511). If they cannot speak to you immediately they will contact you and arrange a mutually convenient time for a more detailed discussion about your concerns.

  • What is the Local Offer and where can I find it?

The Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) regulations, associated with the Children and Families Act 2014, state that local authorities must publish a Local Offer.  The Local Offer must set out, in one place, information about the expected education, health and social care provision available for children and young people who have SEND, including those who do not have statements or Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans.

Cornwall’s Local Offer includes all the support that is available to children and young people in Cornwall (aged 0–25) with special educational needs and / or disabilities (SEND) and their families. The majority of the support described is based in Cornwall but the Local Offer also includes links to provision that is available in other counties when such provision is not available in Cornwall. Here is flyer with more information.

Here is a direct link to the Cornwall Local Offer.