Careers – Parent/Carer Area
80.75% of students say their parents help them to make key careers decisions
This section of Torpoint Community College’s website is aimed at helping parents and carers source information to help support their young people in their future decisions. Below you will find three helpful sections: information about education options, types of jobs and local opportunities.
There are a variety of educational routes available to students when they leave Torpoint Community College. Click each button below to find out more:
SEND Support and Providers
Types of Jobs
Students who have a vision of where they want to be in the future may find it easier to plan their next steps more easily. To help students and parents to get an idea of what types of jobs are out there we would suggest looking at a number of these websites:
- Unifrog (each student has a login)
- National Careers Service
With developments in technology there are now numerous jobs that did not exist 10 years ago. It is important to keep up to date with what is happening locally, nationally and internationally.
In regards to local opportunities, Cornwall and Isle of Scilly are leading the way in a number of exciting developments with a range of sectors including space, geothermal engineering, mining and IT. Click the buttons below for more information:
Torpoint Community College work with a number of businesses who support our careers programme. If you or your business would like to support our activities in the future please email our Careers Leader, Davina Bray firstname.lastname@example.org
Below you will find an overview of how students will receive careers education during their time with us – careers education is delivered in timetabled PSHEe lessons and the topics covered form the living in the wider world strand of PSHEe.
Transition to Secondary School
- Moving on to Secondary School
- Skills, Qualities, Self-esteem, and Friendships
- Coping with transition and where to find help, information, advice, and guidance
- Introduction to online career platforms: Career Pilot and Unifrog
- What is banking?
- Financial Services – making financial choices
- Careers: Unifrog: What are Skills?
- Who am I? Skills and Qualities and info on employment law for young people
- Finding out about different Careers
- What does great learning look like?
- Unifrog revision: good vs bad revision activity
- Unifrog: What’s your dream job?
- LMI Labour Market Information
Differences, Diversity and Prejudice
- What is diversity? What is prejudice?
- Discrimination in all its forms: racism, religious discrimination, disability, sexism, homophobia, biphobia, and transphobia
- Challenging Stereotypes
- Routes to Employment
- Career Sectors Unifrog interests activity
- LMI Labour market Information
- Unifrog: University vs apprenticeships – The big debate
- Unifrog: Transferable Skills
- Earning Money – Payslips and Financial Security
- Budgeting and Money over a lifetime
- Understanding Debt/Gambling including online gambling
- Transition to key stage 4 – what are your options?
- What are your skills and qualities?
- Careers: Setting goals and Unifrog: Subject library treasure hunt
- Safe Working Practices and Environments: The Law and work
- Finances: Guide to finances and Paying Tax
Living in the Wider World
- Internet Citizens
- Extremism and Radicalisation
- Unifrog – personality quiz
- Post 16 Options
- Interview Skills
- CV Writing
Living in the Wider World
- Managing Online Presence
- Understanding the Workplace
- Finances and Consumer Rights
- Careers – next steps and NCS
- Careers – longer term plans
In year 9 all students meet with a member of the College Leadership Team to discuss their options following the year 9 options evening and to help all students pick their best options for Key Stage 4.
In year 11 all students meet with a Level 6 qualified Career Advisor. Davina Bray, the Careers Leader has completed the Level 6 Careers Advice and Guidance Diploma as well as the Level 6 Careers Leadership Certificate and will meet with students to offer impartial advice and guidance.