Careers – Teacher Area
Torpoint Community College is committed to providing high quality Careers, Education, Information, Advice and Guidance to help inspire students and to enable them to make rational informed career decisions. Torpoint Community College aims to meet all eight Benchmarks identified by the Gatsby Foundation.
David Baldwin, the Executive Headteacher of Churchill Community College in Wallsend, refers to “teaching through a careers lens”. He views careers as not being the responsibility of a Careers Leader and a small number of teachers, but of all staff in schools and colleges.
At Torpoint Community College We Would Like All Subject Areas To Do The Following:
- have a prominent display that links subject learning and skill development to different careers
- develop links with businesses and organisations
- to invite alumni and other external speakers to come into school (virtually where an actual visit is not feasible)
- where appropriate to organise external visits by students to local businesses/organisations
- record careers learning opportunities for students in schemes of learning
- take part in whole school ‘Careers Days’ where all teachers start their lesson with a careers focus, such as talking about their career pathway or showing a short film where people in a range of job roles explain the relevance of skills developed in a particular subject area to their role.
- explore the possibility of developing real projects/challenges for students with a local business or organisation e.g., a local company setting IT students the task of designing/updating their website
- consider the needs and interests of all students and ensure that information challenges stereotyping including gender and disability
Subject teachers will be supported to develop and integrate careers learning opportunities into their schemes of learning through INSET sessions.
There are a range of resources on the market that suggest ways of incorporating careers learning into different subject areas.
With regards to local opportunities, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly is leading the way in a number of exciting developments with a range of sectors including space, geothermal engineering, mining and IT. For more information about the business landscape within the county, the Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Local Enterprise Partnership has created this ‘10 Opportunities’ booklet.
They have also created a booklet highlighting key labour market information statistics around the county.